05 September 2011

Observation Period

So, I haven't actually started teaching yet. It sure feels like I'm working already, but in fact I don't officially start until tomorrow! I'm at the tail end of my mandatory observation period. Each day I get a  schedule of classes to observe, so I can get oriented and learn the routines and rules before they throw me into the deep end (though with some classes it could be considered more of a shark tank, yikes). I've mostly been shadowing Kelli because I'll be taking over her classes.

The morning is dedicated to kindergarden, and th afternoon is elementary. Each teacher has a kindergarden homeroom that they teach the whole morning in English except for one hour where they have a Korean teacher. During that hour, I'll go to the Korean teacher's respective homeroom and (attepmt to) teach them English. We eat lunch in the classroom with the kids (for details on the food, read my last post, and probably many more to come), which can be challenging. They have to eat all of their food, but like you would expect of any kindergarden class, getting them to stop talking long enough to actually eat is pretty tricky. Plus not everyone likes all of the food... I'm just hoping to avoid bargaining with the kids about how much they eat.

One really weird thing a lot of the kids do at lunch is dip their kimchi into their water because it's too spicy. That in and of itself makes sense, but then they drink the water with all the spicy stuff in it! But that's not too spicy, and the kids actually laughed at me when I suggested it: "Teacher, water no spicy! HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEE"

Shoot me for trying to make sense of those little maniacs.

My primary class is Dolphin, seven cute little kids. Or so I thought. They are supposed to be the second highest level in terms of English abilities, but they are a pretty rowdy bunch so I'm not sure if thy're quite there yet.

The rules are basically as follows: listen to teacher, no running, and NO KOREAN. The third is obviously the hardest for them to follow, but for the most part they're pretty good about it. Sometimes I hear a kid speaking Korean and I want to scold them but then I realize they're explaining something to another kid so it's okay.

Each day there is a class leader who can give (and take away) "bad points" for kids caught breaking any of these rules. I can also give out points (both "good" and "bad"), and at the end of the day we tally their count and they get stickers for the net "good points" of the day. I'm already stocked up on some really cute stickers, including one of a pig in a chef's hat. Hilarious! And adorable!

If any kid gets three "bad points" in one day, the threat is that they'll get sent to King Teacher, the CEO of the school. Kelli, my predecessor, told me she's never actually sent anyone there but the threat is sufficiently scary that they behave with a fear of God once King Teacher's name is invoked.

Anyways, the kids are really cute and for the most part very smart and eager to learn. Obviously not every kid is the same in terms of ability, but Dolphin is more even than some of the other classes I've observed in the past few days.

Wish me luck, I'm definitely going to need it!!

1 comment:

  1. This blog is sooo good. I keep LOLing. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete