11 September 2011

Indian Camp-- still behind

[NOTE: My parents just informed me that I have two Indian Camp blog entries... Oops? I would say that's how traumatic it was, but really I'm just a space cadet. Sue me.]

I've been here for two weeks and am already somehow a week behind. Aaaaaah!

I'll do my best to catch up. Right now. During a monsoon while I'm trapped in a coffee shop.

Last Saturday was Indian Camp Day. For the past two weeks, all of the kids have been learning about Indians (Native Americans-- it's by no means the most PC event). Teepees, moccasins, buffalos... All of the really subtle and nuanced things about Native American culture, of course.

Anyways, on Saturday, everyone comes in from 1-9 pm and does N.A. themed activities. Hunting, fishing, shirt-decorating, and an "Indian Rain Dance." Please don't guess which one I was a part of...

Of course it was the dance.

What, might you ask, was the soundtrack to our culturally sensitive respectful rendering of Native American religious practices?

"Why is the red man red" from Peter Pan.

OOF.

The good news is that the kids loved it, the bad news is that it was SUPER hot and I was sweating like a maniac. Did I mention that me and the other American teachers were all out till 4 the night before? Needless to say, I've seen better days.

We all wore Indian costumes too... Mine was a headband with felt feathers, a vest with yarn tassels and felt chevrons, as well as a giant felt leaf collar one of the Korean administrators insisted I wear... Look at my Facebook pictures and laugh if you are so inclined. I can't laugh at it... Not yet, anyways. Still too traumatized.

The redeeming part of all of this was that the school fed us fried chicken and beer afterwards, then we went out, of course in our full Indian costumes. And I thought we got stared at a lot just because we were white...

No comments:

Post a Comment