27 September 2011

Chuseok!

Happy (very belated) Chuseok, everyone!

Chuseok is Korean Thanksgiving, and also two glorious days off from work.

So, Austin (fellow new teacher) and I decide to get us some culture and go to the Korean Folk Village in Seoul. It's a lot like Colonial Williamsburg, but Korean.

We figured since everyone would be spending the day with their families eating as many songpyeon as is physically possible in 24 hours, we'd have the place to ourselves.

WRONG.

The place was PACKED.


For some reason, learning about and experiencing traditional Korean activities on a day celebrating Korean culture is popular.

Anyways, after an adventure on the Seoul subway system, including (but not limited to) attempting to ask some guy for directions while appeasing a random drunk old guy's curiosity about our involvement in New York (read: none) and me trying to go the wrong way through a ticket turnstile, we get there.

Despite the crowds, it was really nice! We watched some performances and wandered through the reconstructed hanoks (traditional Korean houses). There were also children playing all of the games we attempted to recreate on EOS Chuseok Day, including but not limited to the kiddie launcher.

Those kids were FLYING.

It was a lawsuit waiting to happen, and I have to say I'm glad I wasn't involved. I get nervous just thinking about it...

Anyways there were lots of kids roaming around in hanboks, which was cute but must've been miserable since it was at least 90 degrees out. I was sweating and I was in cotton. And shorts.

There was also a delightful yet creepy plush hanbok-wearing 'mascot' woman running around. Austin and I tried to get a picture with her but for some reason she kept letting the kids cut us.


Was that decision age-appropriate or racist against us pale faces? You decide.

Anywho, after a few hours of meandering, we decide to head back home. With, of course, a slight detour.

A street food detour! My favorite kind...

Austin and I see some bugs for sale and decide we need to nut up and try them. After all, they're just bugs, right?

We get in line (yes, there was a line to buy bug snacks) and are trying to figure out how to order the smaller size when the girls in front of us turn around and offer us one of theirs to try before we commit to an entire dixie cup of our own.

We take the offered bugs, cheers, and eat.

And then try not to vomit.


"We're gonna need a bigger bucket."

They were actually the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. I have eaten things that I didn't particularly enjoy (dried mini fish with eyes, I'm looking at you), or even things that I actively disliked.

But nothing. NOTHING. Has ever made me straight up gag before.

Except these babies:



I'm still not sure why that one came as such a shock.

Anyways, it turns out they're boiled silk worm larvae.

I do not recommend them.

To anyone. Under any circumstances.

So as we're trying not to ralph in the middle of a crowded street and maintain some shred of dignity by thanking the girls, the entire street (including the bug vendor-- scratch that-- ESPECIALLY the bug vendor) is just busting a gut.

Thanks for the understanding, guys, really, thanks.

So... sorry there's no real conclusion to this post, but I'm feeling kind of nauseous. Mostly sidetracked, but enough nauseous that I feel comfortable blaming in on that.

Blech.

2 comments:

  1. ew. I just vomited all over my laptop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love you. This is sooo funny I'm crying.

    PLEASE keep blogging!!

    ReplyDelete