11 September 2011

Kelli Teacher's Goodbye Dinner

So, the day finally came when the teacher I'm replacing, Kelli, left to go back to America. That in and of itself is sad; Kelli's really awesome, but the silver lining is that the school took us out to a FEAST.

It was a traditional korean bbq. We took off our shoes at the door and sat of the floor and everything! The table had a straight up grill in the middle, with a grate over hot coals and everything.

We had a really spicy hotpot tofu and mushroom soup, an ice beef soup (by ice soup, I mean soup that was really cold and had shaved ice in it-- strange), really spicy/authentic kimchi, a salad, a fantastic spicy red pepper paste, marinated onions, and...

THE MEAT!

I didn't really eat red meat in the States, but in Korea that would mean I would starve.

I plan on not eating red meat once I get back, but if this meal was any indication that is going to be very difficult.

Because the food. Was. SO. SO. SO. Good!

We had a few different cuts of meat, including streaky pork belly (glorified bacon), some sort of beef, beef short ribs, and some other kind of pork. We grilled one kind of meat at a time, cut it with scissors (apparently how they roll here), and FEASTED.



The traditional way to eat it is to make a sort of lettuce wrap, with rice, meat, onions, red pepper sauce, and onions.. I did that for the first two, but much more lettuce than that and I would've died, so I pretty much just shoveled it right on into my mouth.



I took a picture, of course, but until I get my internet set up in my apartment and the power-transformer thing figured out, you'll just have to use your imagination. *NOTE: Now there are pictures!

Did I mention that the whole thing was like $15 a person?

Did I also mention that we didn't have to pay for it??

Thaaaaank you work!

Ps Now I'm hungry just thinking about it... Good thing the giant steamed pork bun ($1, btw--score) is on my way home!

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing some of that red meat you ate was bulgogi -- Korean barbequed beef. Sooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete