22 November 2011

More Caffeine, Please!

... But really.

I think I may have a problem.

When I first got here, I started drinking a variety of caffeinated beverages, mostly of the iced coffee variety. Partially because it was just so hot, but also because I was jet lagged out of my mind and kindergartners are hyper little monsters.

By the time the weather became more manageable and I had adjusted to the time schedule (the kids are still lunatics, unfortunately), I tried to wean myself from the near-constant trip of caffeine.

Without success.

And it's been a steady increase in my caffeine intake from there. It's like I've developed a tolerance. Whereas before, one cup of iced coffee would have me jittery and hyper for hours, now... Let's just say the iced Starbucks double shot of espresso drinks are a regular indulgence.

But seriously.

I started to get concerned when one of my kids asked "Teacha, why every day you eat coffee?"

My first problem was of course that she forgot the difference between eating and drinking, but then I realized:

I drink at least one cup of coffee every day.

Before work.

Then one at work, during kindergarten.

And in the relatively unlikely event I don't take a nap during the mid-day break, a Coke Zero or some other caffeinated soft drink.

Then a cup of black tea or coffee in the afternoon.

Ruh roh?

I guess this is the part where I don't mention the energy drinks every Friday night.


And no, I can't figure out how to make this not be upside-down. 
Sorry 'bout it.

So I decided to do my due diligence and look up on Wikipedia how much caffeine it takes to kill someone.

The great news is that if I manage to drink less than 50 cups of coffee in half an hour, I'm in the clear.

Plus, this graphic has basically convinced me that mainlining caffeine is not only socially appropriate, but healthy!


Thank God for the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment