17 November 2011

How to NOT Deal With a Blood Geyser in Class

So today I had my first medical scare with one of the kids.

And of course it was in Jellyfish class, where once they start crying any and all ability to speak English goes out the window.

So today:

We're in the classroom-- All 8 kids are sitting relatively quietly while I have my back turned, writing on the board when all of a sudden they all just start screaming.

SCREAMING.

Like, bloodthirsty, gun-toting-zombie-vampire-is-in-the-classroom screaming.

I immediately turn around and see Andy, one of the cutest little round-faced munchkins ever, just freely bleeding all over the desk, his hands, and his face.

Every other child is on their feet screaming and poor Andy is just sobbing and gushing blood.

I run over, push some of the kids away and tell one to get the tissues, and try to figure out what artery has burst to create this blood GEYSER on his FACE.


What I thought I was dealing with

Turns out it was just a really dramatic nosebleed, but seriously.

WHAT THE HECK.

I think I missed the day in Being an Adult School where they teach you not to totally lose your $#!+ when a kid gets hurt, because I was totally freaking out.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to make everyone sit down and stop screaming, and hold tissues to Andy's face while someone went and got the Angel Teacher (Korean classroom helper).

That woman must have a PhD in staying calm because she swooped in and made him stop crying and cleaned him and the desk up before I even knew she was back.

Moral of the story is: it is probably inappropriate to scream "Oh my God, [insert child's name here]!!!!" in front of a bunch of hysterically screaming kindergarteners unless you're sure that his head has, in fact, exploded.

My bad.

1 comment:

  1. AHHH! This sounds terrifying. I had a moment last week where I realized that no one had actually trained me or even told me what to do in the event of a medical emergency. I mentioned this to another teacher and found out that what I thought were emergency only phones in the class room are in fact flashlights in the event of an earthquake. Glad everyone is ok though!

    ReplyDelete